Tuesday, March 13, 2007

HOMEWORK: Due March 20, 2007

HOMEWORK
1, Final Draft: Rhetorical Analysis
2, Research Paper, Part II (Draft only for peer review)
3,Comment on 2 classmate's blogs (if you haven't yet done so)
Note: (DO NOT COME TO CLASS UNLESS YOU HAVE THE WORK COMPLETED)

4, Read and comment on the NY Times article below (on my blog!)
http://nytimes.com/marketing/winatrip/?mkt=tsmmphoto

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/11/opinion/11kristof.html?n=Top%2fOpinion%2fEditorials%20and%20Op%2dEd%2fOp%2dEd%2fColumnists%2fNicholas%20D%20Kristof

March 11, 2007
Op-Ed Columnist
Win a Trip, and See a Different World
By NICHOLAS D. KRISTOF
Cast your eyes above and meet Hidaya Abatemam, whom I met last month in a remote area of southern Ethiopia. She is 6 years old and weighs 17 pounds.
Hidaya was starved nearly to death and may well have suffered permanent mental impairment, helping to trap her — and her own children, if she lives that long — in another generation of poverty.
Yet maybe the more interesting question is not why Hidaya is starving but why the world continues to allow 30,000 children like her to die each day of poverty.
Ultimately what is killing girls like her isn’t precisely malnutrition or malaria, but indifference. And that, in turn, arises from our insularity, our inexperience in traveling and living in poor countries, so that we have difficulty empathizing with people like Hidaya.
I often hear comments from readers like: “It’s tragic over there, but we’ve got our own problems that we have to solve first.” Nobody who has held the hand of a starving African child could be that dismissive.
That lack of firsthand experience abroad also helps explain why we are so awful at foreign policy: we just don’t “get” how our actions will be perceived abroad, so time and again — in Vietnam, China, Iran, Iraq, Lebanon, Afghanistan and Latin America — we end up clumsily empowering our enemies.
Part of the problem is that American universities do an execrable job preparing students for global citizenship. A majority of the world’s population lives on less than $2 a day, but the vast majority of American students graduate without ever gaining any insight into how that global majority lives.
According to a Roper/National Geographic poll, 38 percent of Americans aged 18 to 24 consider speaking another language to be “not too important.” Sixty-three percent of those young Americans can’t find Iraq on a map of the Middle East. And 89 percent don’t correspond regularly with anyone outside the U.S.
A survey cited by the Modern Language Association found that only 9 percent of American college students enroll in a foreign language class.
Let’s face it: We’re provincial.
That’s one reason that I always exhort college students to take a “gap year” and roam the world, or at least to take a summer or semester abroad — and spend it not in Paris or London, but traveling through Chinese or African villages. Universities should give course credit for such experiences — and offer extra credit for students who catch intestinal worms.
So I’m now putting my company’s money where my mouth is. On Tuesday, in partnership with MySpace.com, The New York Times and I will announce a second annual “win a trip” contest to choose a university student to travel with me on a reporting trip to Africa. And this year, in addition to a student, I’ll choose a schoolteacher — from a middle school or high school — to accompany me as well. We'll probably travel together to Rwanda, Burundi and Congo.
Last year I chose a young woman from Mississippi, Casey Parks, and we traveled together through central Africa. Casey and I saw malnourished children just like Hidaya, and visited burned-out villages in areas of the Central African Republic that had been caught up in the furies of the spreading Darfur genocide. Pygmy trackers led us through the jungle to see gorillas and elephants, and we managed to be held up at gunpoint by bandits.
In Cameroon, we interviewed a doctor about maternal mortality — and then found a woman named Prudence, a mother of three, dying in the next room. A dead fetus was decomposing inside her, setting off a raging infection, but the doctor didn’t care about her. And so she died. You can know intellectually that half a million women die in pregnancy each year, but it’s still shattering to see a woman die so unnecessarily in front of you.
If you win the trip, you won’t be practicing tourism, but journalism. You’ll blog and prepare videos for the New York Times and MySpace Web sites. I’m betting that you’ll be able to connect with young readers and viewers — and galvanize them to care about these issues — in a way that I can’t.
So please spread the word about the contest. Rules and applications will be posted Tuesday at www.nytimes.com/winatrip and at www.myspace.com/kristofontheground.
And for those who apply but don’t win, go anyway on your own. You’ll learn more than you ever would from an equivalent period in the classroom. And you’ll gain not only the occasional intestinal parasite but also an understanding of why we should fight to save children like Hidaya.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Coment by Jessica Voyles

If I wasn't pregnant, I would definitley sign up to win this trip! It is something that I have always wanted to do- travel abroad. Now that
my life has taken a different course, I most likely won't be able to.
This article broke my heart. My one year old nephew (23lbs) weighs
more than a 6 yr old African girl? It boggles my mind. It also made
me feel really guilty. We are so blessed to live here in America. I
live in a nice house, with a free education due to scholarship, and
food galore whenever I want. It is hard to believe that right across
the ocean, people are still dying in these poverty stricken
situations. Even doctors, possibly one of the few that could help
them, could care less about their patients. It makes me want to go
over and help, but honestly, if I had the chance- would I? We are so
comfortable here and it is so hard to escape our comfort zones. It
would not be an easy choice. I am one of these young adults that
couldn't find Iraq on a map of the Middle East. I think it is really
great that this company is doing the contest though, and I hope it
proves beneficial in many ways.

Anonymous said...

I cannot even begin to imagine how horrible it must be to grow up in that kind of poverty. There are times in every kid's life where they believe they have it tough but when reading about things like this is when you realize how good you really have it. This kind of stuff makes me feel guilty about those times where you chow down on a whole pizza or complain all day because you missed lunch. I don't even know if I could handle a trip like this because it would be such a culture shock. If i went there and saw how bad it was I know I would be moved to help out but as it is I'm living pay check to pay check already. Best of luck to all the poverty struckin people alround the world.

T.WARE said...

It's horrible to see children starving everyday. It's makes me disgusted with myself at the fact of throwing away food or complaining about having to eat something I think is disgusting. It makes you grateful for everything you have. I'v always wanted to take a trip to another country to see the horrible things that other people have to go through and offer a helping hand.

JodyHatchett said...

I consider myself to be one of the luckiest people alive because I have had the chance to travel internationally to several countries and I have definately gotten to see my fair share of culture shocks. And it really is sad how just across the ocean is a world completely different from us. We are so fortunate to be able to live in the U.S. where we can eat when we please and walk around and we wish. It is sad to think that I know of a 6 month old baby that weighs as much as a 6 yr old African girl. Because of doctors not caring and mothers not being educated enough or healthy enought to be able to care for their child any better. When I went to the Dominican Republic and Haiti it was very alarming to realize that you (as a woman) can not walk down the street without an escort in chance of being mugged and restraunts are guarded by men with machine guns at all times. And that when you do eat at a restraunt small children would ask for your leftovers that we Americans many times just throw away. It is a scary world outside the perimeter of the U.S. and we are all very forunate to be here.

Sabra said...

This article is horrifying. The mindboggling number of 30,000 chidren casualties a day is completely unacceptable. This should undoubtedly cause even an American of the lowest social class to be guilt stricken. I agree with Kristof in his theory--I believe the lack of American intervention stems not from lack of compassion but from plain ignorance. I would consider a semester abroad into a poverty stricken nation much more beneficial than several of the courses that I am currently enrolled in. Kristof's comments such as offering "extra credit for students who catch intestinal worms" shows us that the more we are involved with these societies, the more we will understand their misfortunes and strive for change. I believe Kristof's choice to bring along a schoolteacher is an excellent choice, since she has the potential to educate and encourage numberous students of the importance in taking such a trip. She can provide them with a first hand experience, teaching the seriousness of what is going on ourside of their comfortable country boundaries. This is a lesson that each American could afford to learn.

Christy T. said...

Before getting to the article itself, I couldn't help but pity the little girl in the picture. I so very much want to help her and the others in third-world countries like Africa even more so from the article. Reading about the pregnant woman who was dying before Kristof's eyes was receiving no medical help or even attention from doctors where she lived. I am so apalled at the dismissive behavior of the people in America who said that they are too busy with their own issues to bother with the problems of dying children and others. I reply to those insensitive people, "If we can afford to help with the victims of natural disasters and harmful diseases here in the US, then why can't we reach out and help other human beings who are in similar situations elsewhere?"

lbest said...

This article shows us how fortunate we are today to live in the United States and to have everything that we want at our fingertips. This article makes me want to help but like most college students, I am not financially able to travel overseas right now but there are other things that we can do to help without having to travel to the countries. For people who want to help but can not travel, they can sponsor children in poverty stricken countries for as little as $30 a month, this provides them with an education, clean drinking water, and food. I know that most of us could find $30 a month to give to sponsor a child but why do we not? Because we are greedy people who do not pay attention to what is going on around us in the world today.

Joe said...

It saddens me to read such things as this article. We have all heard about the things that are going on in other parts of the world, but every time something like this makes its way to me I get upset easily. People today are too wrapped up in their own lives and what is going on with them to stop and try to take on another stress like trying to help another country out. "15 cents a day is all you need to give to save a life" they say. We live in a world where a pack of gum costs more than that, so it is no wonder why people do not believe when they are told that this is all they need to do to help. I am probably one of the many that can't point out Iraq on a middle east map, and I have no ties outside my own country. I have no window to the world outside of my own, which i'm sure is the case for most Americans.

alfi said...

Our low-sensitivity is covered with so many protection layers from the terrible news we hear every day, that only shocking stories with thousands of children dying every day, makes us feel uncomfortable. Reading this article made me thankful for the things my family and I have. Comparing our regular normal life to those in the article, makes you think there are two different plants. The trip to Africa is a fascinating idea, though I wonder if I could have endured this journey.

Graham said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Graham said...

I have been fortunate enough to have experienced much of what Kristof has experienced. I recently have gone to Afghanistan and I noticed a majority of the people who live there are also in extreme poverty. If you go to my Blog I have posted a picture of an encounter I had with a young Afghani boy. He only had to beg for one second before I emptied out my pack and gave him every ounce of water and food I had on me. Kristof has succeeded in making me feel guilty because since my trip I have not taken one second to remember what I saw. I feel compelled now to start donating to foundations that support the African cause. about the article, Kristof made a very good point in isolating what he thinks is the cause for the endless cycle of America not caring what happens over seas. When he stated “Let’s face it: We’re provincial” I realized the truth in that statement. America is isolated form the rest of the world and it makes it rather difficult to care about other countries. This attitude, like Kristof says, does make us seem “awful at foreign policy.” This trip is a once in a life time oppurtunity for some people and I suggest everyone should apply for it.

thammond said...

Reading this article really makes you think about how good you really have it. I cant even begin to imagine how a 6 year old child can weigh only 17 pounds and survive. It's really heart breaking. I dont know if i could actually go over on a trip to Africa and see all of these starving children. I just dont know if my heart could take it. Hopefully whoever wins the trip can give us some insight on what really goes on with those starving children in africa, and what we as students can do to help

kkelley said...

This has been my favorite article that you have posted yet. I became completely engaged within reading the second sentence where the author was talking about a child that was 6 years old and only weighed 17 pounds. This article became more of a reality check about what is really out there in the world and made me think twice about how spoiled us Americans truly are. I agree 100% of the statistics posted about how uneducated 18-24 year olds are on their effort to advance their education and pick up another foreign language so that possibly one day they could make a difference by just knowing another language. This article was engaging from start to finish and it really made me think.

kkelley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.